|Category :||Examinations Bodies/Boards,Government Departments,Government Ministries, Ministry Departments, Authorities, Commissions|
|Publish date :||July 3, 2018|
|Social Links :|
|Address||Plot 7, Valley Drive, Ntinda, Kyambogo Road, P.O. Box 1499, Kampala, Uganda|
|Phone No||0700410735, 0782435903|
“SETTING PACE FOR QUALITY ASSESSMENT”
Uganda Business and Technical Examinations Board (UBTEB) is a prestigious and leading Competence Based National Examinations Board mandated by the Act of Parliament of Uganda to streamline, regulate, coordinate and conduct credible national examinations and award Certificates and Diplomas in the Business, Technical and Vocational/ specialized education or training in Uganda.
We are the largest specialised and only recognised Technical, Business, vocational and specialised awarding body in Uganda currently examining over 134 nationally accredited/approved programmes and trusted by over 570 accredited examination centres spread all over the Country.
UBTEB is highly committed to realising skills development in Uganda with emphasis on Competence Based Assessment and a focus on assessing Practical Skills and Applied knowledge.
LEGAL AND REGULATORY FRAME WORK
Uganda Business and Technical Examinations Board (UBTEB) was established by the BTVET Act, 2008 and operationalized by Statutory Instrument 2009 No.9 (Establishment of the Uganda Business and Technical Examinations Board). The Regulations mandate UBTEB to streamline, regulate, coordinate and conduct credible national examinations and award Certificates and Diplomas in the Business, Technical and Vocational/ specialized education or training in Uganda.
A leading institution for Competence Based Examinations and reliable awards for Business, Technical, Vocational and other specialized training in the region.
To effectively conduct competence based examinations for business, technical, vocational and other specialized training and issue reliable and valid awards.
To achieve its goal, UBTEB is guided by the following values:
a) Integrity and transparency
b) Valid and Reliable Assessment
c) Commitment and Teamwork
d) Security and Confidentiality
The functions of UBTEB
• To conduct business and technical examinations for specialized training institutions in Uganda;
• To accredit theory and practical examination centers used for the conduct of the examinations;
• To establish and oversee practical and theoretical question banks;
• To publish past examination papers;
• To establish and maintain a secured database of examination results;
• To collaborate with international and inter-governmental organizations and agencies of other states and the private sector on issues relevant to its functions;
• To provide feedback to training institutions on examinations;
• To award diplomas and certificates to successful candidates in such examinations.
UBTEB has been in existence for a period of about 6 years and has a remarkable record of successful conduct of quality and credible national examinations and awards, having been created in response to addressing the need for standardised awards in the BTVET sub sector and other specialised professions to produce competent and skilled graduates who are globally competitive. The Board continues to build, strengthen and consolidate its quality assurance systems to realise the production of innovative and creative graduates that meet the changing demands of world of work in the region and around the world and contribute towards National Development.
Before establishment of UBTEB, the management and administration of Business, Technical and Vocational/ specialized education or training examinations was fragmented. Some examinations were being conducted by Makerere University Business School (MUBS), others by Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB), while others were conducted by individual institutions dotted in different parts of the country. As a consequence, there was lack of uniformity in the Awards of Certificates and Diplomas from different institutions. This made it very difficult to standardize qualifications offered by the different institutions offering courses in the Business, Technical and other specialized fields like Agriculture, Fisheries, Meteorology, Lands and Survey among others. Hence the UBTEB was established to streamline, regulate and coordinate examinations and awards in BTVET in Uganda. The UBTEB Secretariat started operations in January 2011.
OUR NICHE IN CONDUCTING NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS
The Board employs Competence Based Assessment (CBA) approach to examine candidates from the formal BTVET training system and other specialized disciplines at all levels below degree awards. The UBTEB Examinations embrace the Uganda Vocational Qualifications Framework (UVQF) which follows the principles of Competence Based Education and Training (CBET). Under the CBET approach, training with production is mandatory, and is part of the examinations. UBTEB is committed to conducting quality applied knowledge and practical skills Examinations with an ultimate goal of enabling the students to access further upward academic progression and being self-employed or getting employment in the world of work. Examinations under UBTEB follow the curriculum developed by National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) and programmes accredited and approved by National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
The UBTEB brand is highly recognised by all employers in the region. We examine and award certificates and Diplomas for over 100 qualifications/programmes and this renders our mandate critical in producing skilled manpower to support key sectors of the economy ranging from Agriculture, Tourism, Energy, Leisure and hospitality, construction/all engineering among others. Our range of qualifications are built around the labour market demands and embed industrial training and thus this gives our graduates an edge over others in the search for jobs or creating their jobs or enterprises. Our examination system of continuous assessment is designed for clear upward career progression to enable students to attain the highest levels in their chosen education career paths.
UBTEB Strategic Objectives
1. To manage a reliable, transparent and efficient competence based examinations and assessment process for (BTVET) in Uganda.
2. To strengthen HR, F & A in order to achieve greater organizational and management effectiveness and efficiency of the Board.
3. To integrate ICT in the operations of the Board
4. To increase public awareness of the Board and its activities
5. To establish and operationalize knowledge management and quality assurance systems
6. To increase capacity to mobilize resources for the Board
UBTEB is deliver the following key outputs;
i. conduct competence based Business and Technical or Vocational Education examinations;
ii. certify students with diplomas and certificates
iii. Successful registration and accreditation of business, technical and vocational centres and institutions as Examination Centres for UBTEB.
iv. Attract more students to enroll and graduate in business, technical and vocational courses
THE BOARD’S SECRETARIATE
UBTEB is governed by a Board that serves a period of 3 years. It has a Secretariat headed by an Executive Secretary.
THE COMPOSITION OF BOARD
According to the Statutory Instrument 2009 No.9, the Board consists of fifteen members drawn from constituencies and professionals representing disciplines as follows:
1. Representative of Public universities
2. Representative of Private Universities
3. Representative of Principals of Training institutions
4. Representative of Employers
5. Representative of Public Service Commission
6. Ministry of Agriculture, Animal industry and Fisheries
7. Ministry of Education and Sports
8. Ministry of Water and Environment
9. Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban development
10. Uganda National Examinations Board
11. National Curriculum Development Centre
12. Ministry of Tourism, Industry and Cooperatives
13. Ministry of Information and Communication technology
14. Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development
15. Directorate of Industrial Training.
Powers of UBTEB
As constituted, UBTEB is a corporate body with perpetual succession and a common seal and, for the discharge of its function under the Statutory Instrument 2009 No 9, can;
• Acquire, hold, charge, alienate and dispose moveable and immovable property;
• Enter into agreements with any person or body;
• Carry out any improvement upon land or other property held by it;
• Derive capital or income from property held by it;
• Invest any funds not immediately required in any investment or a project approved by the Minister;
• Raise or borrow money in such manner and upon such security as it may from time to time determine;
• Do all acts and things as a body corporate may lawfully do;
• Delegate any of its powers and functions, other than the approval of estimates or any powers required under these regulations to be exercised by resolution of the board, to any member, officer or committee of the board as it may deem necessary.
IMPACT OF UBTEB EXAMINATIONS ON STUDENTS’ ENROLMENT AND SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
With the establishment of UBTEB, there has been paradigm shift in the mode of training and delivery at training institutions. This is in form real life projects and continuous assessment of students where training with production is empahsised. This has resulted into construction of houses at different institutions and production of final products for sale such as school sweaters, carpentry products, Agricultural products, salon operations among others.
Also, the enrolment in the BTVET sub sector training institutions has been boosted and this is attributed to the standardization of examination system and awards. Students enrolled at different training institutions gain adequate competencies that are certified by the Board. This has given the students a competitive advantage in the world of work as well as advancing for further studies at Tertiary Institutions and Universities.
OUR STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENTS
In carrying out its functions, UBTEB to the greatest extent possible, and consistent with the Act, consults and co-operates with stakeholders such as,
• UNEB, DIT, and other Examination Boards
• Principals of training institutions
• Professional and Accreditation Councils or bodies
• Service Commissions and other employers
• Government Agencies; Line Ministries -Agriculture, Education, Water and Environment, Lands, housing and urban development, Trade and Industry, Information and Communications Technology, Energy, Finance, Public Service, Local Government, NCDC, Political leaders
• Parents and students, development partners and all departments, branches and agencies of Government and utility service providers with related duties, aims or objectives.
• International Development partners
• International Assessment bodies such as IVETA etc
• World of work
• The media fraternity
UBTEB membership to international educational assessment bodies
Three internationally acclaimed educational assessment bodies have admitted the Uganda Business and Technical Examinations Board (UBTEB) as a partner institution and issued it with certificates of primary membership.
The International Association for Educational Assessment (IAEA), during its 38th annual conference in Astana – Kazakhstan announced and introduced UBTEB among examination councils from Africa committed to improving the quality of education and assessment in their countries and beyond. IAEA offers a global forum for institutions and individuals involved in all forms of educational assessment and its purpose is to assist educational agencies in the development and appropriate application of educational assessment techniques to improve the quality of education. Its members include examining bodies, university departments, research organizations and government agencies from more than 50 countries from all continents.
The Association for Educational Assessment in Africa (AEAA) also admitted UBTEB as its primary member during its general assembly held in Gaborone in Botswana. AEEA is an international body working for the harmonization of educational assessment on the African continent.
UBTEB has also received a certificate of primary membership from the International Vocational Education and Training Association (IVETA). IVETA promotes the cause of international vocational education and training and provides focused, in-depth coverage of critical issues in the field and of new and exciting approaches to those issues.
OUR QUALITY ASSURACE STANDARDS
At UBTEB, we aim at enhancing the quality of the examinations with a focus on assessing the practical skills, applied knowledge and attitudes. We offer expert support through our Research and Quality assurance team as well as availing resources that help to create and enable the training and delivery process such as Continuous Assessment tools and feedback workshops. This is done through research and sharing best practices and recommendations to all accredited examinations centres. With a focus on raising quality standards using knowledge and expertise, the Board has developed Continuous Assessment tools and put in place examinations rules including Guidelines on Industrial training, accreditation of institutions.
The Board organizes annual Quality improvement workshops with a focus on centre examinations management and administration as well as participating in curriculum design and recommending curriculum reviews/ amendments so that the content is aligned to the principles of Competence Based Education and Training (CBET). The Board also offers specialized training to support the accredited training institutions/examination centres to develop strategic direction as well as managing and implementing change to keep up to date with changes in the world of work.
UBTEB AND NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT THROUGH SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
UBTEB has put in place reforms that have transformed the BTVET management systems by enabling the training institutions to maximise productivity, increase profitability and enhance the quality of the learning experience through real life project – hands-on and training with production, continuous assessment for upward career progression and monitoring of Industrial training as part of assessment .This is a proactive approach in all our assessment that is aimed at addressing the skills development needs and skills gap to suit the demands of the relevant sectors as well as contributing towards human capital development for robust national development.
The mission and vision are also in line with the goal of Uganda’s National Development Plan, which is, ‘‘growth, employment and socio-economic transformation for prosperity’’. It should be noted that the National Development Plan accords greater importance to skills development as a means of raising productivity, incomes and competitiveness in the economy.
As the EAC market integration takes shape, UBTEB works towards ensuring that all relevant examinations respond to the member states’ national development themes. UBTEB will therefore consider integration of the concerns of the global market protocols in her mandated business.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT SERVICE
The Customer Support Team of UBTEB is always available to offer 24/7 customer support services on our services. This is aimed at offering timey customer service using holistic platforms such as facebook, whatsup, twitter, bulks sms service, emails and website.
PROGRAMMES EXAMINED BY UBTEB
I. TECHNICAL/VOCATIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAMMES
A. HIGHER DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
1. Higher Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
2. Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering
3. Higher Diploma in Construction (Building & Civil Engineering)
1. National Diploma in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
2. National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
3. National Diploma in Electrical Engineering
4. National Diploma in Civil Engineering
5. National Diploma in Architecture
6. National Diploma in Water Engineering
7. National Diploma in Ceramics Engineering
8. National Diploma in Information & Communication Technology
9. Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering
B. ADVANCED CRAFT PROGRAMMES
1. Motor Vehicle Technician Course Part II
2. Carpentry & Joinery Craft Part II
3. Block Laying & Concrete Practice Part II
4. Plumbing in East African Countries Craft Part II
5. Tailoring & Cutting Garments Craft Part II
6. Electrical Installation Craft Course Part III
7. Radio, Television & Electronics Technician Course Part II
8. Painters & Decorators Craft Course Part II
C. NATIONAL CERTIFICATES PROGRAMMES – TECHNICAL
1. National Certificate in Woodwork Technology
2. National Certificate in Welding And Fabrication
3. National Certificate in Plumbing
4. National Certificate in Automotive Mechanics
5. National Certificate in Building Construction
6. National Certificate in Electronics Technology
7. National Certificate in Electrical Installation Systems And Maintenance
8. National Certificate in Machining and Fitting
9. National Certificate in Painting and Decorating.
10. National Certificate in Fashion and Garment Design.
11. National Certificate in Refrigeration And Air Conditioning
12. National Certificate In Hotel Management And Institutional Catering
13. National Certificate in Cosmetology &Body therapy
14. Leather Tanning & Shoe Making Craft Part I
15. Pottery & Ceramics Craft Part I
16. Agricultural Engineering Mechanics II
17. National Certificate in Agriculture
18. Certificate in Electrical and Electronics
D. UGANDA COMMUNITY POLYTECHNIC CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES
1. Welding and Metal Fabrication
2. Motor Vehicle Mechanics
3. Block laying and Concrete Practice
4. Electrical Installation Practice
5. Plumbing and Pipe fitting
6. Carpentry and Joinery
7. Community Polytechnic Certificate in Agriculture
8. Garment Design and Construction
9. Fabric and Interior Design
10. Food preparation and Processing
11. Leather Work & Shoe making
12. Business studies (Accounting)
13. Business studies (Computer studies)
14. Business studies (Secretarial studies)
15. Business studies (Store keeping)
16. Community Polytechnic Certificate in Agriculture (CPCA)
II. BUSINESS EDUCATION AND OTHER SPECIALISED PROGRAMMES
1. National Diploma in Business Studies
2. National Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management
3. National Diploma in Marketing
4. National Diploma in Secretarial Studies
5. National Diploma in Accountancy
6. National Diploma in Business Management
7. National Diploma In Journalism
8. National Diploma in Cosmetology
9. Uganda Diploma in Business Studies
10. Uganda Diploma in Secretarial Studies and Information Management
11. Uganda Diploma in Hotel and Institutional Catering
12. Diploma in Procurement and Logistics and Management
13. National Diploma in Business Studies
14. National Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management
15. Diploma in Records and Information Management
16. Commonwealth Diploma in Youths in Development Work
17. Diploma in Project Planning and Management
18. National Certificate in Business Studies
19. National Certificate in Purchasing and Supplies Management
20. National Certificate in Marketing
21. National Certificate in Secretarial Studies
22. National Certificate in Accountancy
23. National Certificate in Business Management
24. National Certificate in Cosmetology
25. Certificate in Records and Information Management
26. Certificate in Hotel and Institutional Catering
27. Certificate in Secretarial and Information Management
28. Certificate in Procurement and Supplies Management
29. Certificate in Clearing and Forwarding
30. Certificate in Public Administration and Management
31. Certificate in Social Work Social Administration
32. Certificate in Business Administration
33. Certificate in Secretarial and Information Management
34. Certificate in Records and Archives Management
35. Certificate in Records and Information Management
36. Certificate in Library Information Science
37. Certificate in Hotel and Institutional Catering
38. Certificate in Computer Science
39. Certificate in Accounting and Finance
40. Certificate in Human Resource Management
41. Certificate in Clearing Forwarding & Shipping Management
42. Certificate in Public Administration and Management
43. Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Business Management
44. Certificate in Social works and social Administration
45. Certificate in Tourism and Hospitality Management
46. Certificate in Computing and Information Systems
47. Certificate in Computer Science and Technology
48. Certificate in Computer Engineering
49. Certificate in Journalism and Media Studies
METEOROLOGY – DIPLOMA
1. Diploma in Agro-meteorology (DAM)
2. Diploma in Meteorology (DM)
3. Certificate in Meteorology
1. Diploma in Wildlife & Natural Resource Management (DWM)
2. Diploma in Wildlife Tourism Management (DWT)
3. Certificate in Wildlife & Natural Resource Management (CWM)
4. Certificate in Wildlife Tourism Management (CWT)
1. Diploma in Cooperatives and Business Management
2. Certificate in Cooperatives and business management
1. Diploma in Fisheries Management and Technologies
2. Diploma in Boat Building Technology & Marine Mechanics
3. Certificate in Boat Building Technology & Marine Mechanics
4. Certificate in Fisheries Management &Technologies
1. Diploma in Crop Production and Management
2. Diploma in Animal Production and Management
1. Certificate in Meteorology
2. Diploma in Meteorology
3. Diploma in Land Management & Valuation
4. Diploma in Cartography
5. Diploma in Land Surveying
6. Diploma in Physical Planning
1. All programmes at Certificate and Diploma level take a duration of two years effective Academic year 2018/2019
2. Programmes examined by UBTEB keep increasing as and when accredited/approved by the nationally mandated Departments and Agencies.